Officially a Marathoner!

Having completed the Miami ING Marathon gives me a great sense of accomplishment. Nothing feels better than completing a goal that you have worked so hard for several months.

Yesterday, the day of the Marathon, started at 4 am. As usual on race day I wake up and eat some oatmeal with milk, cinnamon, blueberries and some slices of banana. Get dressed while taking my first gel pack to make sure I start the race fully hydrated. Not much preparation in the morning as I already had everything laid out the night before. We were ready to head out by 5 am.

When we got to the event it is still night time. Weather is in the 50s
and not much humidity. Perfect for race day except that while we waited we were cold! Race would start at 6:15 am. We needed to
wait about 40 mins to start. There were 21,000+ registrants and
everyone was lined up in sections up to the starting line. I was at letter G. I managed to keep myself calm and relaxed as we waited. I remember thinking “this is just another run.” Time went by quickly. Before I knew it we were slowly walking forward with a few stops. We finally got to the starting line and very slowly started to

We started in front of the American Airlines Arena and started to make our way into the beach by going on the McArthur causeway. At this point the sun started to come out. There were so many people that it was hard to maintain a steady pace. There were many
walkers, people taking pictures, some video taping themselves as they ran and I would have to run around them.

At about mile 10 we entered the Omni cheering zone. It feels so nice to run through a crowd of spectators cheering for all runners. Bands playing drums and music blasting. I get goose bumps every time. The first half (13.1) went by quickly for me. Before I knew it we were at the split point for the half marathoners and the full. The
half marathoners made a left turn to get to the finish line at Bay Front park while the people running the full kept going heading into the Brickell area and then the Grove. After this I felt so peaceful. Out of the 21,000 only 4,000 were running the full. Now we actually had room to run with no interruptions and maintain pace. At this point, I’m feeling good. I knew I was going a bit slower than what I
had planned to but for me feeling good was more important than time. So I kept the same pace. I was running with my friend Tanya who had been my training partner. We were both good with the pace we were keeping.

At about mile 16 my left ankle started to hurt. My ankle had never hurt before during training so I was a bit surprised. I tried not to
pay to much attention to it but I did notice I was running harder on the other leg trying to compensate. When I noticed this, I immediately started stepping on both feet the right way even if it hurt. I just didn’t want to hurt something else by compensating for my ankle. Miles 16-18 I remember them as painful. I believe that somewhere between 18 and 19 I took an aleve. Slowly my pain started to diminished but now I was just tired. I had been taking my gels every 50 minutes. All along the race I knew when time was getting closer for me to take my Gu because I would start to feel hungry and I could feel my stomach asking for some consumption.

As we approached Key Biscayne people started to walk more. We were by mile 22-23 at the turn around under the Ricken Backer bridge. At the water stop there they were handing out sponges
soaked in ice water, and boy did that feel good! The course was shady for the most part until this short stretch so I was relieved to leave Key Biscayne and head back to Brickell.

Now we only had about 2 miles left. I was eager to get to the finish and felt that I had picked up my pace a bit. Not by much because at that point everything hurt but the thought of finishing gave me the
extra push I needed. And then… I look up and see the Brickell bridge, ugh! Not a big bridge but at mile 25 it’s definitely something. I just don’t know how I had the strength to run it as I saw many people walking the bridge.

When I saw the sign for mile 26 my heart starting beating faster and I kept a faster pace. I didn’t want to get too excited because
when you are this tired .2 of a mile can still feel very long. I just remember telling myself ” push through the finish, you just ran a marathon!” When approaching the finish line I looked down not to trip on the timing mats and put my arms up with joy. I got a bit chocked up but got myself together quickly and was off to look for family and friends that had been cheering all along the way. At 4:45 hours I’m officially a marathoner!!!!!!!!!!

with my training partners!!

with my training partners!!

One thought on “Officially a Marathoner!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s