This easy recipe let’s you cook some quinoa as the perfect complex carbohydrate side dish.
1 Tsp coconut oil
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
* or you can use the frozen mix available in stores
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp cumin
1/4 Tsp of black pepper
1 cup Quinoa
2 Tb fresh cilantro or 1 Tb of cilantro paste
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable broth
Heat oil on skillet and add onion and pepper mix with garlic, cumin and black pepper. Cook until onions are translucent.
Add in quinoa, water and vegetable broth. Stir well and let simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add in cilantro and continue to simmer until water has been absorbed and quinoa is cooked throughly.
I have been collecting little herb plants over the last several months as an experiment. I started with just two plants with the idea of having the herbs I use the most when cooking. Now that I have a better idea on how to take care of these herbs, I have ventured out for my first garden DYI. So exciting, how can I not share!!!!!!
On Pinterest I found many ideas on how to use a reclaimed wood pallet and make it sort of a herb rack for all my pots. I made decided to keep my herbs in pots as I can move them around as needed. I’ve read that herbs likes porous pots such as clay so I went with these simple clay pots.
Next, I asked for a free wood pallet at a local nursery when buying a few supplies. Luckily, the very friendly and had a stack of them from me to choose from. I grabbed the best looking one and home I went. 🙂
For this project I only bought two items. One, a fine/medium sand paper block and Rus-oleum primer spray paint.
I took out all nails and staples from the pallet making sure it was free of anything sharp. Sanded the pallet and gave it a quick clean with a brush to clean it from any dust from sanding. Once cleaned, I began to spray paint following directions on the can. Only one coat was necessary but it took two cans to cover the entire pallet.
Let it dry for an hour or so. I looked for anything I could use to secure the pots on each shelves. Found some leftover chicken wire and some yarn. Used nails to secure each side and that’s it!
This project cost less than $10 and now my herb plants have a nice home.
And lastly, some tags with each name.:-)